Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More wax. More fun. More reasons...

...why paraffin is not a substitute for good sculpting wax...

I always enjoy some good home cooked chemistry. I've been playing around with this paraffin "clay" recipe for a while. Just for fun. It's not material I use for client works. Albeit it's interesting stuff. Paraffin is a very brittle wax. It doesn't stick to itself well without heat and sculpting small details can be somewhat painstaking. This exercise took about 16 hours to achieve (twice as long as it would, using clay). I didn't use any reference during the exploration and creation of this (1:6) "rough" sculpt...While it was a fun challenge to wing - as a result this figure was such a hard piece to photograph due to the exaggerated angles. I wasn't even going post these images. But, hey, what the heck? That's what this blog's all about...

However, I assure you, the proportions, in reality, are not as bad as they appear in this documentation... Very strange?

0 comments: